6 oz/175g butter or margarine
12oz/350g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
6oz/175g soft light brown sugar
4 Dessert spoons of water
4 Dessert spoons of Tastes of the Mediterranean Berry Medley Jam
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350f/gas mark 4.
- Line 3 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl, then sift the flour, baking powder and salt over the butter.
- Using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, then add the egg and HALF the water.
- Using a round bladed knife stir well to bring it together.
- The mixture should be quite stiff and just hold together. If you feel you need any more water, add it little by little.
- Place the jam on top, stir in with the knife, so it is swirled within the mixture.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture onto your lined baking trays, making sure that the dollops of are well apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Leave the rock cakes to cool for 5 minutes on the trays before transferring to a wire rack until cold.
- If not serving straight away then store the rock cakes in an airtight container and eat within 2-3 days.