120g/4oz courgette, coarsley grated
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 large free range egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp plain flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
vegetable oil, for frying
freshly ground black pepper
Courgette fritters are an easy, cheap and quick vegetarian lunch or dinner.
- Season the courgette with sea salt and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, baking powder, flour and cumin in a large bowl and season with black pepper.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the courgette over the sink, then add the courgette and peas to the batter.
- Heat enough oil to just cover the bottom of a large frying pan, over a medium-high heat. When the oil just shimmers, drop in heaped tablespoons of the courgette mixture, flattening them with the back of the spoon to make fritters. Fry each one for 2 – 3 minutes, or until golden-brown on each side. If you need to cook in batches in a smaller pan, set the fritters to drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
You can serve your fritters with any products from our savoury range, but they are especially delicious with our chilli jams or with a lemon juice, chive and natural yoghurt dip.
- To make the dip, stir together 4 tablespoons of natural yoghurt, a few splashes of lemon juice and 1.5 teaspoons of finely chopped chives
- Serve the fritters with a small bowl of chilli jam or the chive yoghurt dip.